About cardiovascular regulation and disease research
The breadth of our experimental approaches includes cellular, animal and human models, and the complex interplay between risk factors such as diabetes, obesity or aging on cardiovascular physiological responses. Identifying therapeutic interventions such as the use of exercise or pharmaceutical targets are emphasized.
Is this option for me?
This option is for students who wish to study the causative factors of cardiovascular disease, as well as the effects of the disease on the human body.
Potential specialization areas
- In vitro and in vivo animal models of ischemia/reperfusion injury
- Mitochondrial dysfunction and signaling (respiration and proteomics)
- Mechanisms of skin and leg blood flow in humans
- Control of blood pressure in humans
- Thermoregulatory mechanisms in humans